Friday, June 12, 2009

The park is now OPEN!

The opening was today. Thankfully the weather was nice and warm.

When we got to the park I found Jan and talked with her briefly. It turns out she found Ronald Lavallee's wife, Pat. Pat had made some calls and had Ron's sisters and their kids show up. Jan introduced Pat and I, Pat introduced me to Leo and JP. All of us chit chatted a bit before the ceremony.

Our city counsilor, Steve Garrison, made a "short" speech, Pat went up and said a few words, Jan thanked a few people and finally Mr. Garrison (no, Mr. Hat wasn't there) said it was time to open the splash pad. All the kids that were there went in, placed their hands on the "on" button, counted down and started the water.

While the kids played I chatted with some of the other Lavallees. Most were born in and around tweed but have ties back to Sorel Quebec and to Calixa Lavallée, who wrote the Canadian National Anthem. When I heard Sorel Quebec I excused myself, went home and grabbed my family tree.

I have family from Sorel Quebec. Coincidence?

No comments: