Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Stupid damned virus!

Yeah, my computer is down due to a freaking virus.

Our friend Will videoed our wedding and sent the DVD to us. Last week Carrie decided she wanted to put it on her Facebook. The only program I have to convert it didn't seem to want to work right so I began looking for something else. I found a program, downloaded and scanned it for viruses. It came up as clean so I installed it.....

17 trojans later I can't load windows because the XP Data Execution Protection kicks in and stops Windows Explorer from loading.... Now I'm having to do a reformat/reinstall.

The problem with that is I only have one IDE connector on my motherboard for the hard drives. My DVD drive is connected through an Ultra 133 controller card in a PCI slot. WinXP install doesn't like that.

So i called a computer place to see how much, $74.99. It includes a hardware diag too. Talking to the tech though I found out that I can connect the C: and the DVD to the same IDE cable. It'll be slower than if they were on separate channels but it should allow me to install. I'll be trying that tomorrow. If it doesn't work I'll have to take it in. Sigh. Merry freaking Christmas.

No comments: