Friday, December 29, 2006

Saddam executed?

It's 10:13 pm ET. Saddam was to have been executed about 15 minutes ago. CNN is saying that 2 TV stations in Iraq are confirm his hanging has taken place. Until I see a body, I have my doubts.

While they were looking for him I seem to recall several doubles having been found/killed. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he is still alive. Maybe I'm a bit cynical on this but something just doesn't feel right about this.

I'm only 35 but I've seen some interesting things happen in history: The fall of the Berlin wall, the explosion of 2 space shuttles, fall of the World Trade Center, various assassinations/attempts, the fall of communism in Russia, massive devastation caused by natural events. I saw the capture of Saddam Hussein and knew that I was seeing more history unfolding in front of my eyes. This should be the continuation of that.

I don't think I can really explain what I'm feeling, or more precisely what I'm not feeling. I think the closest comparison I can give is like when I was a kid and I was told Santa wasn't real.

Saddam was captured 3 years ago. They say his influence in Iraq has diminished significantly. I guess now is the real test. All we can do is pray for whatever troops are over there, be they US, British or anywhere else that they remain safe. May the new year and Saddam's death bring them home.

As I've been typing this out I've been listening to CNN about this. They just reported that on Iraq station pegged Saddam's death at 10:05 pm ET the other one is saying that it was before 10:00... But news is starting to spread through the streets of Iraq.

No comments: