Thursday, August 19, 2004

And the Games go on

Ok. The Olympics are on TV. That's supposed to be a good thing, right?
I mean, the Olympics are on every 4 years. You sit down and watch the seemingly endless coverage of your favorite events, cheering on the guys and gals from your country so they can bring home that elusive chunk of gold. Hell, you might even know one of the Olympians personally giving you even more reason to go insane during a particular event.

It's not like it a last minute throw together sport challenge, right? That's the way CBC seems to be covering things though. They've had 4 years to pull their shit together and give us the BEST coverage they can. I know there are 37 events, and most are broken down into a different classes (men's, women's, individual, team, weight, distance) and so I don't expect to see EVERYTHING on the bootoob. I also didn't expect to see a schedule that looks like the cable guy is coming over to fix things.

My local listings go something like this:
" Friday August 20 7:00-12:00 CBC Olympic Morning Basketball Women's prelims: Athletics men's/women's qualifying; Swimming men's/women's heats; Diving women's prelims; ....."
Yeah, it tells me what's being covered, but that's over a five hour block of time. What if I only want to watch diving? I have to HOPE to switch channels at the right time to see it. I can't set my VCR to record it because I don't want to waste tons of tape. The afternoon coverage is done the same way. Add in all the commentator babble between event coverage, it just pisses me off.

I don't think any one event deserves more coverage than another. I can understand why sailing has no coverage, but why does swimming have tons? In the evening they "recap the days events". Cool, I'll get to at least see highlights of the untelevised events that I WANT to watch. WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
They repeat exactly what they showed during the day. I want to see archery, fencing, judo, tae kwon do, and mountain biking.

So far there's been ZERO archery and fencing. The only judo I've seen was by accident on the French station. Mountain biking is coming up in the next few days.

Canada is sucking the hind tit so far this year for medals. We're tied for 15th over all for medals with 1 bronze. USA is in first with 35 medals over all, but tied for first in gold with China.

Mountian biking is our sport. I can't wait to see it.....if I'm lucky enough to have it tuned in.

No comments: