Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Not a typical Monday

I know, I know. Today is Tuesday.

Yesterday was so insane, I haven't been able to breathe until now.

Logan had a dentist appointment at 0810 hrs. I wasn't looking forward to it, seeing as his last 2 tries at getting his cavity filled failed miserably. Then again, it wasn't our regular dentist that saw him the last two times. Dr Verpoorte seems to be able to deal with kids better than his associate.
The nurse came in and explained to Logan what was going to happen, starting with the gas, then about the different drills they use and finally the filling. Logan was given a choice of purple, blue, green or white for filling color.
Everything was going fine upto the filling going in. Logan had enough of the gas and having things in his mouth. As Dr. Verpoorte said, it's not the best filling he's done, but it's in.

I was expecting Logan to not want to go to school afterwards, but he did. So I took him in.
On my way home, I looked out the bus window in time to see an older lady wipeout on her bike. She went down hard.
Nancy, the bus driver, and I hopped off the bus to see if she was okay. She was rolling around in pain, scrapes on her right shin, but nothing that looked too bad. A passerby stopped to lend a bit of a hand, and called 911, left a pillow and took off. Nancy had to go, so I waited for the ambulance to arrive, just in case she went into shock and passed out.
The EMTs checked her over, nothing broken, just some scrapes, and pulled tendons in her leg. She's probably got some nasty looking bruises today.

When I got home, our friends Andrew and Jenn called. They had scavenged an old Compaq Deskpro computer form his dad's place and wanted some help to get it up and running. Sounded easy enough, so I foolishly agreed.
Did you know that Copmaq didn't have a BIOS on the motherboard for the system they had found? It's supposed to be in a hidden partition on the hard drive. The hard drive was missing, by the way.
It took us two hours to find the right file to add the BIOS to the hard drive Andrew had. But it does work.

As Andrew was checking things out (the drive had Win98 on it), I was getting ready to go to the YMCA for a workout, and Andrew was thinking about going with me. I had just started to pack my bag when the phone rang. It was my mom. Her ex-step-son-in-law,Mike, finally showed up to start work on the stone patio she wanted. But they needed an extra set of hands.
First we had to build the steps to get out the patio door. From the ground to the door it's 4 steps. The top step is a landing that's level with the living room floor, so it's about 4.5 feet above the ground. The landing is approx. 5-6 feet long and 4-5 feet wide. It took 3 guys 7 hours to build it. I was on shovel/wheelbarrow duty. We used close to 40 wheelbarrows full of limestone, close to 300lbs/load. Once that was done, we moved the rest of the limestone to the pit where the main deck is going to be, that was another 20 barrows full.  That was all packed down last night.

All this on the tails of a busy, but enjoyable Sunday. Mom called me at 0900 hrs and asked if we wanted to go over for brunch seeing as my step sister was visiting with her kids. We had HUGE omelets. All three of the kids played in the backyard together. We all had water gun fights, and the  three boys wrestled with me and grandpa Jim.
The day went fast and it was supper time really soon. 1800hrs and people were still full from brunch, but I still managed to eat 2.5 bbqed hamburgers! Man did I feel sick when I got home.


Grandpa is down! Victory is ours! Posted by Hello


Getting ready tor the water gun fight. Posted by Hello



The boys. Nolan, Logan, Kadin. Posted by Hello

I got a call just a few minutes ago. Mike got the afternoon off. Looks like I'm going back to help lay the patio brick today. At least there's no more shoveling or wheelbarrows.
Damn my arms are tired!



No comments: