Sunday, July 04, 2004

Why? How? What?

I was sitting here watching the Discovery Channel. It was a show about amusement park rides. Cool stuff.
When they went to commercial it was an ad for HP computers. You've probably seen it, the one where Donkey from Shrek complains about a receding hairline?
At the end HP takes credit for helping create the graphics for Shrek. That's a kind of arrogant don't you think? Yes, the animation company needs computers, and probably got the best deal from HP, but HP just puts components together. I don't see Intel or AMD taking credit for helping make the movie. There's no ads from ATI or nVidia doing it. Hell HP doesn't even make their own monitors.
It's kind of like the caterer taking credit for the space shuttle launch. "Buy Maxwell House Coffee. We kept ground control awake for the launch!"

Now, what's up with these blogs? When I log into my blogger dashboard there's 2 lists of blogs. The bottom one for recently updated blogs, and Blogs of Note. Who decides what's "of note"?

Let's take a look at Spindrift surfboard.
Spindrift started the blog in May of 2004. All of the entries are pictures of surfboards. I don't surf, but can see the beauty in just about anything.
I don't see how it's a "blog of note". Especially when there is no text content. Are these Spindrift's personal boards? Does Spindrift own a pro shop and these are for sale? Are these hand made by Spindrift?

Terminal Island is another one I don't get. I like the look and like the interface idea, but he states it's a TEST. He's got two or three posts and that's it.
Again, no real content.

Kuwait Diary was one I had hopes for, just based on the title. I thought it would be blogs form someone stationed in Kuwait letting us see how things are. Again it's just pics.

Caliblog actually has some content. It's not earth shattering, but it's intelligent.

I'm not ragging on Blogger.com to see if I can get into the "of note" category. It'd be cool and all, but I'm not concerned. All I want to know is what they base the choice on. Maybe I can change my writing style or pick a direction for this to go.

I can't imagine too many people want to read about my mundane life.

No comments: