Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Stressed

I'm pissed off. Not in general, but at something specific. Or, I should say someones specific.

Now, I know I haven't had this blog up and running very long, and those few of you that read it don't know a hell of a lot about me or my family.

Carrie has a brother who is badly schizophrenic. He's been in care for sometime, but as of a week and a half ago he had walked off on his own. Without his medication. So the provincial and local law have been trying to find him.

We got a call from Carrie's parents to let us know he was on the loose and that we were to call them if we saw her brother. We saw him tonight and had him in our home.

It was the most nerve racking hour and a half I've spent in a long time. Carrie tried her parents several times, but the line was busy. So I told her to call 9-1-1.

It wasn't until after the cops had left that we got through to Carrie's dad. Her mom was off at BINGO, and her sister was with her dad getting drunk. Both of them started bitching at Carrie for calling the cops. I can guarantee her mom will call later to do the most bitching and complaining. Mind you, I'll have a few choice words for them!

After the police left, Carrie told me that while her brother was on the run, he was extremely violent at one place he stayed. I was glad he left without force.

Knowing that a person is mentally ill is bad enough. Watching them try to avoid the help they KNOW and admit they need is even worse. Having other family members berate and belittle you for doing the right thing? I can't imagine how Carrie feels.

I can only hope that the Army gets a hold of me soon. I pray that we get posted anywhere but here. I can't stand seeing Carrie so torn up over this and it always seems to fall in her lap.

Carrie's sister is also schizophrenic. Last month she was the one we had to deal with. She had decided that she couldn't deal with her two daughters anymore. So she called the Children's Aid Society. They apparently have a “weekend off” program where they take custody of the kids for 2 days. A week later, she still hadn't picked them up.

She did call us to see if we would take the girls. Finances and lack of space forced us to say no. It hurt Carrie a lot, but she knew C.A.S was the best place for them. Her sister should have known that too, but still told Carrie that she didn't love her nieces. A few weeks later C.A.S called because sister told them we wanted the girls. Again Carrie had to tell them no. Again the family said she was a bad person.

Even though my side of the family can be nuts and angry with each other, I can still see and feel the love. Carrie's family rarely says or does anything nice for her or about her, yet I can feel her love for them. I just don't understand why.

No comments: